Saturday, October 15, 2011

Poetry Corner ~ Calling all Poets

Good morning and happy Saturday :-)

I figured we would do something different today on Mystery Writers Unite party because I think it is a fun thing to do....shake things up...and party because I'm getting into the "artsy" mood before I go to support Kate Burns in her book signing today (see yesterday's post Author Interview ~ Kate Burns). I'm so excited for her!!

Anyhow, I know poetry doesn't really fall in line with mystery writing or writing novel's but sometimes it can be fun to try and write something different...something that is not your "norm". I will go first and hope that some of the readers today will be brave, silly, or inspired enough to post some of their work by leaving a comment :-)

"The Lock Master"

I stand in the vast openness; an insignificant part of the world feeling vulnerable and naked,
The lock master passes by and smirks at me as keys jangle from their bony hand,
I quickly avoid making eye contact because it is the only way I can think to protect myself,
I'm hoping this tactic will enable me to avoid yet another locked chain on my soul,
I've already had so many placed there, sometimes at my own hand and sometimes at others,
The chains I carry clang in my path and the constant white noise serves as a reminder; like I needed one,
Some days the weight draws me to my knees and I pray for some divine intervention of relief,
Other days, when I pick the right poison, I can lighten my own load at least for awhile,
Will I ever be given redemption for my sins or transgressions?
The lock master is grinning openly at my blatant ignorance; I guess I'm that translucent in my thoughts,
This obvious pleasure over my inner pain and turmoil awakens my anger and I want wipe that cruel smile away,
I want to shake off the shadows that enfold me and fight for me; for what is right,
I realize that in order for me to accomplish this I would have to make the eye contact I've been avoiding; what a risk to take, 
Then I think it will be okay; I've done stupid things before and for the moment I'm feeling strong and reckless,
I focus my breathing, in through my nose out through my mouth, and begin my approach steeling myself to make the lock master's acquaintance, 
As my eyes reach their intended target, my nails bite the palm of my hand and my knees buckle,
For at this moment I have discovered the most unmistakable truth - the lock master is me! 

Written by: Becky Illson-Skinner
February 2011

For those readers who love poetry as much as I do, you may want to check out " Every Thing On It" by Shel Silverstein, a classic top selling book; here is a tease....

A spider lives inside my head
Who weaves a strange and wondrous web
Of silken threads and silver strings
To catch all sorts of flying things,
Like crumbs of thought and bits of smiles
And specks of dried-up tears,
And dust of dreams that catch and cling
For years and years and years . . .


What an amazing collection of never-before-published poems and drawings from the creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and Falling Up. You will say Hi-ho for the toilet troll, get tongue-tied with Stick-a-Tongue-Out-Sid, play a highly unusual horn, and experience the joys of growing down. What's that? You have a case of the Lovetobutcants? Impossible! Just come on in and let the magic of Shel Silverstein bend your brain and open your heart. 

Have a great day!
Becky




1 comment:

megaan said...

A peach is a peach , a plum is a plum , a kiss isn't a kiss without some tongue so open your mouth and close your eyes and give your tongue some exercise.