I hear that this is a "hot topic" these days as the publishing world is being turned on its ear by self-published authors that grew tired of waiting for the ultimate "yes" letter. I don't blame you and for those of you still waiting for your letter...STOP.
Self-publishing is easy and fairly inexpensive so why wait to get your work out to the masses? There may be a couple of reasons such as a) deciding on where you want to market your work b) deciding on the cover art and c) probably the most important decision you will need to make ---- what will you price your book at?
I know from speaking with a friend of mine, that is an author and has a book available on Amazon for $0.99, that there are definitely two ways of looking at book pricing. This author is in favor of the pricing whereas I'm somewhat opposed to it. So, I thought I would do an entry on this subject and see what the masses think :-)
IN FAVOR OF THE $0.99 BOOK PRICE:
- Affordable -- less than a cup of coffee
- It may make someone who doesn't know you or your writing more likely to give your book a chance
- It may lead to mass sales due to lower price as opposed to fewer sales at a higher price
OPPOSED TO THE $0.99 BOOK PRICE:
- May be viewed as "garbage reading" the kind of reading that you find in the bargain bin at the bookstore
- You are branding yourself, as well as your work and you are a professional author -- when is the last time you seen a book by James Patterson for $0.99?
- A slightly higher price will make up for the possibility that the masses won't buy if your book is priced above $0.99
I KNOW there are many more points of view on this subject (based on what I've been reading) both for and against this pricing model -- PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT and let me know why you are "for" or "against" and why :-)
Oh, and please, please don't think that I'm judging because I'm not. Just a hot topic that provides food for fodder.
(BTW, when did they get rid of the cents symbol?)
Have a great day everyone!