Here is an eight-step plan to guide you:
- Define your mission and the benefits you offer your readers.
- Set your marketing objective: What exactly do you want to achieve? Make it measurable and realistic and built in timelines and deadlines.
- Design performance measures: what will be observable, objective indicators that show that you are accomplishing or have accomplished your goal?
- Gather, analyze and interpret information about your situation. For example, what are your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats? Perform this assessment and then act on the areas that need to be adjusted to improve your success.
- Identify your target market and speak to them!
- Develop your marketing strategy and activities aimed at your target market (attend conferences, continuing education events, write articles for them or professional publications that your target market would subscribe to).
- Define implementation strategies: What will you do, when will you do it and what resources will you need or obstacles might you have to overcome?
- Periodically evaluate marketing efforts and modify them if needed to determine what is working or what you may need to do differently. Do you need to do more or can you scale back your efforts?