Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Balancing Writing and Life


Good morning :-)

I'm sure every writer out there has had to deal with the pressures of every day life and how those pressures sometimes either get in the way or prohibit writing all together for days on end. So, how do we do it?
Where do you find the time to write that chapter or review the character your working on? How to you keep track of all the little things that you still need to look into and follow-up on?

Some writers that I've spoken to use fancy software while others just keep notes in a booklet or on index cards. I've found both ways work for me, but neither way takes care of the "finding the time" when there is a time crunch. I am a mother of two children and work full time outside of the home. During regular work weeks the week can be quite busy between working all day, picking up the kids from school, making dinner, doing homework and baths by the time I have any "me" time the day is almost done and I need to get to bed in order to be rested enough for the next day. Being creative at 9:30 - 10:00 at night after having a full day just seems impossible some days. My answer during these times is to keep small "post it notes" on my iPhone of things that still need to be done, ideas for a character or even chapter development ideas. Another way is to carry a mini- recorder around that you can speak into when the thoughts come to you.

Whatever works to get the job done I guess. What things do you utilize to manage your writing time?

Have a great day everyone!
Becky

No comments: